sruth-mara (‘sea current’ in Gaelic) is a small but ambitious new arts organisation, based in Uig on the Isle of Lewis.
sruth-mara has five core aims:
– to initiate and develop new arts projects from Uig with potential UK-wide/international appeal, and involve the local community in the creative and planning process.
– to help facilitate partnerships and collaborations between Lewis-based artists/organisations and artists/organisations from elsewhere.
– to support the development of new arts events in Uig, in partnership with the community.
– to offer mentoring support and creative/career development for emerging Lewis-based artists.
– to work in harmony with, and support, established Lewis-based organisations (An Lanntair, Ionad Hiort, Rural Nations etc).
sruth-mara was founded in January 2018 by Andrew Eaton-Lewis, a leading arts practitioner in Scotland who works between Uig and Edinburgh.
Thank you to An Lanntair, Comhairle nan Eilean Siar, Ionad Hiort and especially Uig Community Centre for advice, support and encouragement, and to poet Peter Mackay for helping to find the right name.
sruth-mara is supported by open project funding from Creative Scotland.